Club News‎ > ‎

V. Rev John O’ Keefe 1934-2013

posted 11 Jun 2013, 11:44 by Seán Corry   [ updated 27 Jun 2013, 04:18 ]

It was with great sadness that Coolmeen GAA today learned of the passing of Club President and former Parish Priest, Fr. John O’Keefe.

As our Parish Priest, he showed great warmth and love to his parishioners and it is fair to say that those feelings were returned in equal measure. Often seen cycling the high-roads and byroads, there was not a home that he wasn’t welcomed into during his daily trips.

Fr. O’Keefe took a great interest in the youth of the parish, and those of us who grew up during his tenure will fondly recall school visits, trips to Europe and his youth discos.

Fr O’Keefe was a native of Carrahill, Crusheen, Co Clare. He studied for the priesthood at St Patrick’s College, Maynooth where he was ordained on 22 June, 1958. He began his priestly ministry in the parish of Brentwood, England during August 1958. On his return to Ireland on 12 March 1965 he was appointed briefly to Feakle Co. Clare and Castleconnell, Co Limerick. He became curate in Mullagh on 15 May 1965 and afterwards in Miltown Malbay on 10 July 1971. Fr. Keefe became Parish Priest of Coolmeen-Cranny on 26 November 1989.

Fr O’Keefe retired as Parish Priest and became priest in residence in Coolmeen-Cranny on 25 July 2008.*

In July 2012, the Club was delighted that he was able to attend our 125th Anniversary.

Fr. O’Keefe will be greatly missed by all whose lives he touched, not only in Cranny-Coolmeen, but also in his other former parishes as well as in his home parish of Crusheen.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam dílis

*Extracts taken from Kilmurry Ibrickane Parish website