2011 Div 4 U14 Final- Coolmeen 4-10 S. Gaels 2-01

posted 1 Sep 2011, 09:47 by Joe Corry   [ updated 1 Sep 2011, 09:49 by Seán Corry ]

Local rivals Coolmeen and Shannon Gaels met in Kilmihil on Wednesday 31st August to decide the under 14 Division 4 final. The two teams had met previous to this in the first round, Coolmeen getting the better of their opponents on that occasion.

From the throw in, it was evident that neither team was suffering from match day nerves. Shannon Gaels, through Darragh Bohannon, took the first chance of the game but sent it just wide. Coolmeen followed suit with a narrow miss but Seán Wallace set his stall out after the resulting kick out, winning the ball and converting for the first point of the game. Ben Cleary, Cian Murphy and Seán Wallace increased Coolmeen’s tally to seven points with some well taken scores before Wallace rattled the Gael’s net. Cian Murphy moved from his midfield position to the full back line to crowd up any Shannon Gaels attack but Darragh Bohannon kept his head up and after nearly 20 minutes of play he registered his team’s first point.

The Labasheeda team found it difficult to build any significant play as all attempts to do so were thwarted by the rootless defending and hassling of Mark Meaney and Alan Normoyle. They did have one goal chance in this half, but Adam Carrigg stood solid on hid goal line to deny the Gaels. Ben Cleary sent the Coolmeen troops into the half time break with their confidence bubbling over by converting another 1-01 before the whistle. At half time the teams were Coolmeen 2-08 Shannon Gaels 0-01.

Coolmeen didn’t show any signs of relaxing when they came back in the second half. Cian Murphy restarted the half in midfield once more and after two minutes he fisted a cross from Seán Wallace into the net for another goal. Coolmeen showed how well they gelled together as a team throughout the game, but it was the next passage of play that really conveyed this to the onlookers. Alan Normoyle blocked an attack on his 21 yard line and delivered the ball directly to Seán Wallace. Seán unselfishly placed it into the path of Ben Cleary who slid the ball into the back of the net with his weak foot.

Adam Carrigg worked tirelessly to keep his clean sheet but Chris O’ Connor hit the Coolmeen goals with nine minutes remaining. Coolmeen’s Cleary reacted with another point but soon after Shannon Gaels’ Aaron Malone- Smyth scored another goal. It wasn’t to be the Gaels’ day as Seán Wallace kicked Coolmeen’s tenth and final point leaving the score at 4-10 to 2-01 at the final whistle.

Cian Murphy accepted the shield on behalf of his team mates and thanked Shannon Gaels for the sporting game. Coolmeen have a lot to look forward to after this game. It’s safe to say after the performances of Cian Murphy, Seán Wallace, Alan Normoyle and Mark Meaney that Coolmeen football will be in good hands in the coming years. However, Ben Cleary was the stand out player with a personal tally of 2-06. He was a joy to watch, kicking with both his left and right foot with considerable ease. If he keeps this up he will surely be a big star at both club and county level.

Coolmeen: Adam Carrigg, Alan Normoyle, Darragh Cleary, Mark Meaney, Kevin Mc Mahon, Eric Scanlon, Cian Murphy(1-01), Seán Wallace(1-03), Shane Ryan, Ben Cleary (2-06, 1f), Darren King

Subs: Michael Mc Mahon (for Shane Ryan), Mervyn Ryan (for Eric Scanlon), Eoin O’ Dea (for Darren King), J.J Carrigg, Dylan O’ Halloran, Dylan Power